Brown-headed Cowbirds

A cool fact from http://www.allaboutbirds.org
The oldest recorded Brown-headed Cowbird was 16 years 10 months old.

Cowbird

Male

Cowbird2

Female

Wild Bird Wednesday
Nature Notes

29 Comments on “Brown-headed Cowbirds”

1. I stora drag says:

Very nice painting of these birds I’m not familiar with!
    Greetings Pia

2. HansHB says:

Lovely photos! I have not seen this bird before!
    Have a great evening!

My feeders usually get inundated with these in the spring.
    Lovely edits Pat!

4. Barb says:

Really pretty edits! That seems like a long time for a bird to live.

These are wonderful, Pat.
    I love the color combination of the male.
    I never knew that a wild bird could live as long as 16 years. Pretty amazing!
    Happy Tuesday to you!

that’s a long life for a little bird!

7. Kerri says:

Wow! That sure is a LONG time!

8. Gail says:

A very pretty bird indeed! Didn’t realize they could live so long. Thanks for the beautiful pic and interesting info!

9. I guess I didn’t realize how long birds live. That is alot of flapping wing-time. Thanks for sharing both the info and your lovely pic.

10. Boom & Gary says:

Great close ups Pat!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

11. Mick says:

Beautiful colors on the cowbird.

As far as I know we don’t have Cowbirds here. These are beautiful creatures. I wonder what allows them to live so long?

13. Eileen says:

The male is actually pretty for a blackbird. Great shots!

Amazing captures! Hard to believe such little birds can live that long.

15. Amanda says:

So sweet! Love the female, so subtle

16. Nice picture – I think its remarkable how old some of these birds are shown to be.

Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW – Stewart M – Melbourne

17. Not one of my favorite birds, but nice shots!

18. Nancy says:

I’m going to have to look at our “blackbirds” closer as they might actually be cowbirds. :)

19. Minoru says:

Nice pictures! The male bird is very good looking ,nevertheless he is old.

20. That is old for a bird. I learned something — didn’t realize that the female cowbird was that different…I’ve been misidentifying her.

21. I think the female looks very sweet.

22. Probably lived long cause they let others raise their young! Great photo.

23. I never would live guessed they could live to be 16!

24. ladyfi says:

Humble and so pretty!

25. tingsgrove says:

GORGEOUS, enough said…really GORGEOUS!

26. Beautiful, Pat! And 16 years is amazing!

27. Mila says:

wonderful! is this now a photo transformed in painting or a real painting? so nice!

28. It is a pretty pair with the texture and wow that is old…I just hate to see cowbird fledge being fed by some little chipping sparrow or song bird..I wish they raised their own….Michelle

29. [...] ” Capitol Reef” Germany 10.Arija ” Blackbird and Worms” , Australia 11.Pat’s Bailey Road ” Brown- headed Cowbirds” USA 12.Leora ” Deer? Oh, Deer in New Jersey Backyard” USA 13.Freda’s Day One ” [...]