The Tree

Maple

We planted the small silver maple tree in our brand new suburban backyard over thirty years ago. Fast-growing, we read. It did grow quickly, providing the shade we sought, and leafy branches where birds could nest and forage. Every few years a bumper crop of little “whirlybirds” would rain down from its limbs.
Over time the tree has been ravaged by storms and brutally cut back by yellow-helmeted power company workers, giving it a pretty ragged appearance, especially in winter. But each spring, it clothes itself in beautiful leaves of green that hide its scars. Once again, it  becomes our perfectly imperfect tree.

Downy2

Downy Woodpecker

kk_day texture used on the woodpecker photo

Texture Tuesday
Wild Bird Wednesday
Nature Notes

43 Comments on “The Tree”

i love the top photo and how the leaves fade into the background light. lovely – and i hope it lasts for many more years.

2. that top photo is my favorite. love how the woodpecker has found respite in your tree. all my trees are still very young and very much in that switch stage yet. but, they are all in bloom now. hope all is well. have a great day~

3. Robin says:

Pat, what a great old tree! It has some character!

4. Sheila says:

What a lovely painterly image! We have a silver maple tree too, and I love it (but my husband hates those whirly things!)

5. Gunilla says:

I love the woodie – adorable!

6. Karin M. says:

Such great shots, the woodpecker you have very well captured ..
    Greetings, Karin

I love trees! And this tree story sounds so familiar…in fact we had a few of ours ‘pruned’ by the telephone company today to make way for fibre-optic cables.
    And I also saw and photographed a Downy Woodpecker today at the park.
    Yeah spring!

8. Mick says:

Beautiful bird and a beautiful tree – a perfect place for the birds.

9. Hootin' Anni says:

…and I spot a perfect addition to your Spring tree!!! Isn’t the woodpecker gorgeous?!!

It really is beautiful, Pat.
    The first photographs looks like a wonderful painting.

11. Peabea says:

Your top picture looks like a painting. Very pretty, and really like the woodpecker also. Great capture. :)

12. Margaret says:

Hi Pat I love how you have edited the first shot, It is like a painting. Love the Woodpecker in your old tree.

13. Eileen says:

I love the woodies, one of my favorite yard birds. Pretty shot of the tree! Enjoy your week!

14. How wonderful to see the tree grow from sapling to full size. I’m sure it attracts lots of feathered friends.

15. Frank says:

Pat … Every garden should have a tree with such character. Love the Woodie.

16. Your tree is a wonderful survivor – determined to be beautiful. And love the colours of the weedpecker against its bark. Beauty meets beauty.

17. Beautiful post, Pat! I loved reading about your tree and the history. The little downy is precious.

18. Shey says:

A perfect tree indeed. Hope it lives longer for the critters too.

19. The woodpecker is a beauty in your tree! I have to drive to the mountains to find woodpeckers, and then I always listen for them. I’m glad your tree is surviving and is once again green :)

20. It sounds like our pecan tree. It’s scarred and will probably fall over during the next hurricane, but it provides food for the birds, varmints for the dogs, and shade in the summer.

21. the edit on the tree is super!

22. Minoru says:

Hi,Pat. I admire this tree’s savival power. Nice texture, the first photo looks like a painting. The woodpekker is very cute too. Thanks for sharing.

23. Donna says:

We are avid bird watchers, well mostly my husband. But I feel so blessed to live on a wooded lot with many imperfect trees that make perfect homes for the birds. Love your shot of the woodpecker – lovely and natural images.

24. Mary says:

Gorgeous photos!

25. Beautiful Pat… How we do love our yard trees…. Michelle

26. Such a beautiful old tree. I hate it when the Power Company “butchers” trees. We ended up taking down our fir trees last summer for that very reason.

27. Earl says:

Wonderful tree. The bark is beautiful on the top image. And the lack of bark in the second really gives it character. Eswpecially with that red-headed character in there.

I saw Kim’s post yesterday. This is a beautiful interpretation of her theme.
    Looks like Mr. Downy is having some kind of hair day. :) Sweet shot!

29. prairiejill says:

I can’t pick a favourite! I always love your bird photos, but the tree shot is gorgeous, too!

30. The downy seems to LOVE your silver maple. ;)

31. kenschneider says:

I’ll bet that old tree has lots of drumming logs for the woodpecker!

32. miyahde says:

Wow, I LOVE your maple tree and making shade♡♡♡
    Thank you very much for visiting.
    Sending you Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

33. ladyfi says:

So very lovely!

34. Stewart M says:

Love the woodpecker’s head just sticking up!

Cheers – Stewart M – Melbourne

35. Silver maple! The mere name tells it is a beauty. :)
    Love the pecker portrait. :)

36. So lovely. Great treatment on the tree. Super birdie pic too!

I hate when they want to cut my trees. So glad your tree is still strong!

38. JM says:

Love the Woodpecker shot!

39. Phil Lanoue says:

Love seeing Woody in there!